When skin pores get clogged with dirt, makeup, dead skin cells and other impurities and when the sebaceous gland produces too much of the skin’s natural protective oil, causing a bacterial infection that results in acne breakouts. Acne is caused by stress, hormonal imbalances, poor diet, hygiene and it usually appears on the face, neck, back and chest.
With so many pimple remedies in the market, it is hard to choose which is the right one? Most of them are ineffective and some cause unwanted side effects. Tomato on the other hand, is a natural affordable, effective acne remedy as well as a super food that provides numerous health benefits.
The benefits of tomato on the skin:
- Tomato balances the skin’s pH level
- Tomatoes contain anti-oxidants that protect against free radicals that cause acne.
- It repairs skin damage on a cellular level and is known to reduce acne scars.
- The natural acid in tomatoes restores the natural oil balance.
- Tomatoes moisturizes the skin leaving it soft and smooth.
- It contains vitamin A, C, K, E, B1, B2, B3 and B6 which helps in shrinking pores and nourishing skin.
- Tomatoes contain iron, potassium and other nutrients that support general health as well as skin health.
- Consuming foods with a high glycemic index is known to cause pimples, but tomato has a low glycemic index.
- Tomatoes contain salicylic acid, a common ingredient in commercial acne products, which cleanses and exfoliates to remove toxins from pores.
- As a natural astringent, tomatoes keeps the skin tight and wrinkle free.
Using Tomato for Acne Treatment
Tomato can be eaten and also used as a topical treatment or it can be used in combination with other ingredients to clear up acne. With the daily consumption of tomatoes and tomato juice, you would see symptoms of acne subsiding in no time.
- Place the tomato in a blender and pure till smooth
- Apply puree to the skin and leave it for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse with cool water and apply gentle cleanser.
- Repeat daily
These are some of the pimple remedies that will help treat pimples, but for cases where a pimple breakout has occurred, it is advisable to visit a dermatologist and take the medicines prescribed.