Acne breakouts during pregnancy are an extremely common phenomena for women who have experienced acne sometime in their lives before. Women who have suffered from adult acne are at a higher risk of developing acne during pregnancy, but the intensity of the acne condition may vary. Some women may experience mild acne, while others may suffer from more acute breakouts. But why does this happen? Find out.
Why Does This Happen?
Pregnancy can trigger all sorts of hormonal imbalances in a woman. Women who have experienced severe acne breakouts in their lives before have even experienced little or no breakouts during pregnancy. Such is acne’s volatile nature.
An increase in the androgen levels has a direct and progressive relationship with acne breakouts and vice versa. Pregnancy-related stress has also been often linked with increased levels of acne on the face and body.
Steps To Prevent Acne During Pregnancy
There are a lot of ways you can control acne during pregnancy. Though these steps may not garner 100% results, they have proven to be effective in terms of controlling the severity of the acne eruptions on the skin. Stop worrying about your skin for starters!
- Exercise during pregnancy. If your doctor has asked you to lay off all physical activity, then this may be useless for you. However, if you are allowed to indulge in mild exercise, go for light walks in the morning. Not only will you unclog your pores and rid your skin of all impurities, but you will also have a great chance to de-stress!
- Do not use lotions or medicated gels on your face. OTC creams and prescriptions products might clear up your acne gradually, but some of the ingredients in these products could prove to be detrimental during pregnancy. Go natural with your skin!
- Drink a lot of water! Water works wonders for all your skin woes and can even battle some of the toughest health problems.
- Your nutritionist would have already planned out a pre-natal nutritional chart for you. Don’t go overboard with the eating, but have plenty of fruits, leafy vegetables and avoid carbonated beverages. This will only make your acne breakouts worse.
- Try to use minimal, oil-free makeup. You don’t need make up to cover all that beautiful baby glow!